I am club runner, why should I have a regular sports massage?
Having a regular sports massage can assist you to achieve new running PB’s and improve overall performance. Also, if you are new to running, you may have just started Couch to 5k (c25k) it can keep your muscles released to prevent injury or if you are an ageing runner keeping your muscle released so you can continue to run is really important to us too.
What is Sports Massage?
Sports massage, also known as deep soft tissue massage or remedial massage is a deep and firm massage. As well as sports massage other techniques such as soft tissue release and trigger point release maybe used by our highly qualified and experienced massage therapists. Each treatment will be tailored to suit your needs and ensure effective results are gained from every session.
Our patients look forward to their regular sports massage sessions, we are happy to work on whichever area needs to be released, one session it maybe lower back tension another maybe to release a muscle imbalance problem around their knee.
What are the benefits for runners having regular sports massage?
Sports massage prepares your body for running by:
- Stimulating the flow of blood and nutrients to your working muscles, this in turn reduces the risk of injury
- Creating a state of readiness in your muscles and tissues.
- Helping your muscles to relax which then increases joint mobility
- Enabling you to focus on your event or performance because your muscles are relaxed.
- Improving circulation and reducing muscle tightness
- Reducing muscle fatigue and soreness
- Reducing swelling and promote faster healing
Strength Training is also important for Runners – why?
- Strength and conditioning reduces overuse injuries by 50%.
- According to the evidence “Strength training reduced sports injuries to less than 1/3 and overuse injuries could be almost halved” (Lauersen et al, 2013).
- The common areas of weakness we find are; gluteus medius (buttocks), transverse abdominus (core stability muscles), quadriceps (thigh), hamstrings (back upper leg) and gastrocnemius/soleus (calf muscles).
For our top recommended strengthening exercises, we have a blog for that too!
To book your Sports Massage session at our Private Physiotherapy clinic in Stansted Park, Rowlands Castle, Hampshire then please call 02394 350 270 or 07835 712306, email firstname.lastname@example.org or book online.