Back pain advice for Grandparents
Physio-logical treat a large number of older people at their clinics in Havant and Rowlands Castle, and are increasingly finding that grandparents are being asked to help with childcare.
Grandparents are often very active nowadays and keen to keep fit and active generally, as well as being able to be part of their grandchildren’s lives. We work with a lot of grandparents to make sure they are fit to walk the babies to sleep in their buggies, lift and push the toddlers on the swings or run around and play football with their older grandchildren.
Top Tips for avoiding back pain when you look after your Grandchildren
- Only lift a child if you have to. Stand evenly on both legs and lift them close to you and centrally.
- Tighten your tummy muscles and pelvic floor when you lift babies and toddlers in and out of the cot or swing to support your lower back.
- Make the toddlers climb up on a stool before you lift them up. They could also climb into the car seat by themselves under supervision.
- Use a pram or a push chair to save the strain on your back and arms/shoulders.
- Make sure the handle bars on the buggy are tall enough for your height to avoid prolonged stooping.
- Use a table at waist height so that you do not bend over too much and for too long.
- Warm up by running up and down first and do a few mini squats to warm up your muscles too.
- Make sure you do make time to continue with your general exercise routine, I know families can be demanding (talking from experience of myself and my husband getting help from grandparents for childcare) but this is really important!
Keep active, bed rest is not the best way to get rid of back pain, neither is prolonged sitting or standing. Get personalised advice from one of our physiotherapists to help you manage the condition.
If you are suffering from back pain in Havant, Rowlands Castle, Waterlooville, Emsworth, Petersfield, Chichester, Southsea, Clanfield, Cowplain, Denmead or surrounding areas then please email email@example.com, call 07835 712306 or book online.
We can help you say goodbye to your lower back pain today!