On Your Feet Day
Today is ‘On Your Feet Day’. It is a day to #SitLess and #MoveMore
Here are some current stats (CSP):
- Sickness absence from work currently costs the UK £14.3 billion
- 40% of all UK sickness absence is due to work-related MSDs (Musculo-skeletal disorders such as lower back pain)
- Working days lost due to work-related MSDs = 9.5 million
- Working days lost due to work-related stress = 9.9 million
What are you doing to reduce the amount of time you sit at your desk today #OnYourFeet day? Here are a few ideas:
- If you work on Chineham Park, Basingstoke then why not join in the Chineham Park health walk starting at Central 40, Lime Tree Way at 12:15 on Friday with North Hampshire Clinical Commission Group (NHCCG) based on the Park – https://buzz.chinehampark.co.uk/news/get-walking-feet-day-friday/
- Stand up when you answer the phone
- Use the stairs instead of the lift
- Walk to you colleagues desk instead of emailing or calling them
- Have a standing up or walking meeting
- Take a break from your computer every 30 minutes
Why is this so important?
Excessive sitting has been link with being overweight and obese, type 2 diabetes, cancer, and early death in recent studies (NHS).
It is advised that we exercise regularly at least 150 minutes a week (NHS)
How can early access to physiotherapy help?
Cost saving – an eg London Fire Brigade staff with chronic back pain followed a physio programme, there was a 85% reduction in time off work and £27 return on every £1 spent (CSP)
Improved levels of staff satisfaction.
Effective treatment of lower back pain and other MSD’s
Prevention of work related aches and pains
Physio-logical will be providing a FREE buffet lunch Talk and about physiotherapy for office workers on Thursday 10th May, 12-1pm at Central 40, Chineham Park, Basingstoke #SitLess and #MoveMore